Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Prepare For A Scare

What: The Ride of Krankenstein
When: Wednesday, Oct. 20, 6 p.m.
Where: Imagine Coffeehouse, West Bend
Who: Anyone crazy enough
Why: Answer unclear / Ask again later

Jimmy Scharrer, local grave robber and reputed conjurer of evil spirits, invites you to perish participate in the inaugural Ride of Krankenstein.  Earlier today during a rare moment of semi-lucidity, the aspiring mad scientist and suspected Transylvanian described his creation as a “full-moon Halloween night ride to Campbellsport and back on the Eisenbahn (27 miles) … lights and tail lights required ... mountain or ’cross bikes are ideal on the crushed gravel but a road bike will work.  Don’t miss out on the {unintelligible} FUN {mocking laughter} and after-ride drinks at Riverside Brewery.”

Is this just crazy?  Is this just crazy enough to be a blast?  It will be dark: sundown will be at 6:02 p.m.  And it might be cold.  And despite the promise of after-ride beers at the always excellent Riverside Brewery & Restaurant, it will be hard for riders to resist the urge to, er, fortify themselves before the start.  Given the Eisenbahn State Trail’s proximity to watering holes in Kewaskum and Campbellsport, I wouldn’t be surprised to find some riders knocking back additional doses of courage as the ride progresses deeper into the night.

So, I’m intrigued.  I have a bike that’s suitable for the trail.  I have a good set of lights.  I have medical insurance.  It might be stupid not to do this.  I have three more weeks to decide, but I suspect I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment