Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Part Bad News, Part Good News



Since 2010 I have been a Mavic wheel guy. I have 3 sets of Aksiums and 1 set of Ksyriums, and for the most part they have been good to me. But when something goes wrong, getting them fixed is a lot of trouble. That would be true of almost any “system” wheels with proprietary parts, but it seems to be especially true of Mavics. Something as simple as replacing a spoke becomes a scavenger hunt through multiple bike shops, which seem not to be able to buy individual spokes and instead must buy them in big, expensive lots. Even shops that sell Aksiums and Ksyriums don’t always have spare parts!

I’m tired of it. So, after popping a spoke recently on my well-used rear Ksyrium, I decided to create my own parts cache. Instead of fixing the wheel—an uncertain process, given how badly warped the rim had become—I opted for disassembly. The next time I pop a rear spoke, I’ll have one on hand. The front Ksyrium is still a usable spare, but it too has taken a beating over the years and wouldn’t be worth fixing. I plan to keep the Aksiums running as long as I can for 3 very specific applications.

The oldest and heaviest Aksiums are now on permanent rail-trail duty. Paired with 700x32 slicks, they go on the cyclocross bike when I use it on hard surfaces. My newest Aksiums also are dedicated to my cyclocross bike, but they are outfitted with a nice set of race-worthy cyclocross tires. That makes them perfect for practice sessions and as a backup set on race day. My primary setup for cyclocross races is tubeless: Shimano Ultegra wheels with Bontrager CX3 tires. I use the middle set of Aksiums for backups on the road bike, now that I have new Ultegras as my primary road wheels.

I still have confidence in my Aksiums, not to mention a financial investment, but I’m transitioning away from them. At least in the short term, I’m moving into Ultegras. They perform exceptionally well, and they represent an industry-standard approach to wheelbuilding that is easily understood and supported by any bike shop in the world. Getting parts and service won’t be an ordeal. Sooner or later, though, I’ll buy that high-end cyclocross bike with the disc brakes ...

No comments:

Post a Comment