Saturday, June 1, 2019

Over Before It Began

Gatherin' dust ...
September 23, 2017. Remember that date. It was the last time I went mountain biking. When I will go again is anyone’s guess. I wanted to return to mountain biking in 2019, but that’s probably not going to happen. At least it doesn’t look like I’m going to be racing.

I wanted to do the WEMS Championships at New Fane in September and I thought I might hit Stump Farm (August 10) in preparation, but now both are off my calendar. The plan now is to concentrate almost exclusively on cyclocross with maybe a gravel race or two for a change of pace.

Mountain biking simply doesn’t fit right now. This year my time and financial resources are very limited. I don’t want to spend the better part of an hour just driving to and from New Fane or Pleasant Valley. I don’t want to spend the money to acquire a state parks vehicle sticker and a state trail pass. To be honest, I’m tempted to sell my mountain bike. As rough as this year has been, I’m optimistic about 2020. With more time, more money and a new mountain bike, I think I would rediscover my motivation for that side of my cycling obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment