Sunday, February 16, 2020

That Satisfying Crunch

(Nathan Patton photo)


Snowshoeing remains my one true winter sport, but this winter’s conditions have been unfavorable: not much snow to start with, and too many melt days between new accumulations.

Today, though, conditions were pretty close to perfect: 35° and partly sunny, with just a hint of a breeze. Last Sunday’s snowfall was significant enough that a groomed base of several inches is still present at Lac Lawrann Conservancy and Royal Oaks Park on the north side of West Bend. My 3-mile / 70-minute lap there was my first snowshoeing adventure since March 2, 2019. I would go more often if there were more opportunities … tomorrow, perhaps, when another 3-inch snowfall arrives. But if the forecast is correct the new window of opportunity will close quickly: we could be somewhere around 40° next weekend. That would put me back on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment