Monday, April 8, 2024

Happy 91st, Mom!

Today is my mother’s 91st birthday and I am privileged to be with her in southeastern Pennsylvania. I don’t need to remind myself how fortunate I am or what’s really important about my time here. But as a “spring training” destination for my cycling season, the Philadelphia suburbs have been a bust. Since I arrived on March 26, a typical day has been wet, windy, and 10° colder than average. Last Friday we felt an earthquake centered in New Jersey, only 42 miles away. Today we had a solar eclipse. A superstitious man would wonder whether an angry god were out to get him. Seems like wherever I go, bad conditions follow.

Things look like they are finally turning around. Yesterday and today were the first back-to-back >60° days here since March 14-15. Tomorrow will be the first 70° day here since March 15. There’s mostly 60s in the forecast for the week to come, then the promise of 70s again next week. I will try to make the most of better weather. Today’s ride was just my fifth on this visit. I have ridden only 118 miles since arriving in Pennsylvania. Yesterday’s ride was my first 2-hour ride this year. That’s not getting the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment