Sunday, February 27, 2011

First PR Of 2011

Week Three of my 12-week training plan ended today with a 20-mile outdoor ride that brought me to 55 miles for the month of February, a personal record that topped my 2005 total by 4 miles.  To say that I don’t usually ride outdoors in February would be an understatement.

But riding outside today made me question why I don’t ride more frequently during the winter.  The temperature topped out at just 31 degrees but I was warm enough.  Maybe I’m just getting hard to it.  Not that long ago, I wouldn’t have considered riding on a day like today.  And there’s better clothing on the way: I have ordered some thermal bib tights that would have made today’s ride even more comfortable.

Perhaps the biggest factor working for me today was a desire to atone for a poor trainer ride yesterday.  I spent just 30 minutes on the trainer Saturday night, quitting in frustration because I couldn’t get my heart rate up.  I’m not fatigued or over-trained; it was just a bad session.

Monday will be a scheduled rest day.  On Tuesday perhaps I’ll greet March with a 1-hour outdoor ride on my lunch break.

No comments:

Post a Comment