Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Blog Post Of August 9, 2012

How’s that for a catchy headline?  Makes you want to read more, doesn’t it?  On this very rainy day with a high temperature of 64 degrees, there isn’t much to say.  But I do have a little news.

On Monday I got back on the mountain bike for the first time since the WORS race at Sunburst on July 22.  I did two full laps at New Fane, plus a lap of Loops 1 and 2.  No personal records this time, but good training nonetheless.  I needed some time on the singletrack.  At the end of my practice session I joined several other racers from Team Pedal Moraine—and a few other folks—for some trail work.  Much of Loop 1 is native prairie and it was badly overgrown.  Not anymore!  It’s amazing what three professional-grade weed whackers can clear in about an hour.  My teammates and I will continue to keep things rideable at New Fane in advance of the WEMS race there on Sep. 22.  I was thinking about doing the solo 3-hour option but now I’m considering an invitation to join a teammate for the 2-man, 6-hour race.

On Tuesday WORS announced its schedule for 2013.  I’ve never seen it come out so early, and I won’t be surprised if a couple of these dates change before the new season begins.  It’s way too soon to know what my own ambitions will be, but here’s the schedule as it stands right now:

05/05 Iola Bump & Jump @ Iola
05/19 Crystal Lake Classic @ Rhinelander
06/02 Trek Classic @ Wausau
06/16 Battle of CamRock @ Rockdale
06/30 Chippewa Valley Firecracker @ Eau Claire
07/14 Subaru Cup @ Mt. Morris
08/04 Sunburst Showdown @ Kewaskum
08/18 Alterra Coffee Bean Classic @ Franklin
08/25 Reforestation Ramble @ Suamico
09/08 Treadfest @ Lake Geneva
09/22 Bear Paw Rock & Roll @ White Lake
10/06 Wigwam MTB Challenge @ Sheboygan


No real surprises there.  But the announcement of the WORS schedule gives me some idea about the scheduling of my own event, Cheesehead Roubaix.  I’m thinking Sunday, Apr. 28, one week before the WORS season opener … just like this year.  It’s not a decision I need to make yet, but keep that date in mind.

On Wednesday my softball team won and secured its spot in next week’s playoffs.  Unless there’s a rainout, next Wednesday will be the end of the season and I’ll have one more weeknight available for cycling.  Maybe I’ll give that killer Ozaukee Bicycle Club ride a try before summer is over.

Finally, today I restored order to my home office.  There’s still a lot of work to do on the rest of the house, but the home office is standing tall!  The new carpet has already made a big difference and there are a few more refinements to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment