Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Only Way Out Is Through

Lately I have been a lot busier than usual with a couple of special projects at work and a daunting “Honey, Do” list at home.  And this week things don’t get any easier.  Here’s what I have on tap:

Monday:  I’ll start work a little early because I have a mid-afternoon dentist appointment.  If the weather forecast is correct, then I won’t have to worry about riding my bike.  Looks like it will be a good evening to continue remodeling in the family room.

Tuesday: It’s yet another election day and I will do my civic duty but without enthusiasm.  I’ll be saving my energies for the debut of cyclocross practice at Royal Oaks Park.  All the cool kids will be there and you want to be cool too, right?  Starts at 5:30 p.m.

Wednesday: Win or lose, it’s the end of the softball season.  My team plays at 6 p.m. and, if we win, at 8 p.m. for the league championship.

Thursday: I may actually get a chance to do the Thursday evening group ride for the first time in several weeks.  And it’s trash day … normally not a cause for celebration, but this week I’m getting rid of some truly horrid old carpeting.

Friday: I will skip the official pre-ride for the Subaru Cup—scheduled for this day between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.—to ride instead at New Fane.  I just can’t justify the drive when gas is $4 a gallon and I’m going to have another opportunity to pre-ride immediately before the race next Sunday.

Saturday: Probably a big day for yard work and other chores like cleaning out the garage and painting trim around doors and windows.  But I should have an opportunity for a long-ish road or Eisenbahn ride.  I won’t touch the 29er, though, as I can’t risk breaking it right before …

Sunday: The Subaru Cup.  I plan to leave home at about 5 a.m., arrive at Nordic Mountain at about 7 a.m., pre-ride 7:30-8:30, then race at 9 a.m.

If I get everything right, then the following week will be a breeze and I don’t want anything to distract me from what I expect to be a great race at Suamico on Aug. 26.  Then comes vacation, then comes the cyclocross season and the comfortable routine of autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment