Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Pothole Protection Procured

I have been very satisfied with the Swagman XC2 trailer hitch rack I purchased in 2019. It was inexpensive, yet it holds two bikes securely and getting the bikes on and off the rack is quick and easy. Recently, though, I noticed damage to one of the grip arms that ratchet down on the top tube to keep the bike from bouncing out of its cradle. I have no idea how the arm got bent out of shape. The picture above shows the damaged arm on the right and its replacement on the left. Notice the difference in the arcs.

This is how the old arm was engaging with the top tube of my cyclocross bike:

The replacement arm arrived today, and this is how it engages with the top tube:

That’s far more secure. I worried that the angle of the old arm could allow the bike to vibrate out from under it. After tax and shipping, the new arm was $25 and I was happy to pay it. I still have the other arm that came with the rack, and it's in perfect condition. But I do sometimes need to transport two bikes. I need to trust that bike rack to work flawlessly at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment