Thursday, August 20, 2015

Tubeless Debut At New Fane


In July I was turning solid laps on the mountain bike trails at New Fane. I was consistently below 26 minutes and even sub-25 minutes on a couple of occasions. But my tires were on borrowed time and when I turned a 27:05 on August 5, sliding through every corner and feeling lucky just to stay upright, I knew I had to do something.

Equipped with new tires and running tubeless at New Fane for the first time ever, today I completed Lap 1 in 26:12. On Lap 2 I followed a teammate who is new to mountain biking, and his pace wasn’t what mine would have been. On Lap 3 I followed training partner Jeff Wren, and we were flying. Unfortunately, I’ll never know how good that lap was because my Garmin turned off. I really think I made a run at my personal best of 24:44.

The important thing is that I rode well and the bike performed well. I’m confident on the bike again. That’s good in itself but it’s really important as I head into the weekend: I am registered for Sunday’s Reforestation Ramble in Suamico, which will be my only WORS race this year. With a good pre-ride on Saturday, I think I can challenge for a Top 5 in my age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment