Sunday, April 21, 2019

Happy Easter, Indeed!



West Bend hit 78° this afternoon, making this the warmest day so far in 2019 … and one that won’t be surpassed anytime soon. I count Sunday as the end of my week, not the beginning, so with today’s ride I had 8.5 hours in saddle this week. That’s my biggest training block since the middle of September, even though I didn’t ride yesterday. Saturday was nice enough, but I devoted it to road marking, trash pickup, and other preparations for next Sunday’s Cheesehead Roubaix.

Everyone always asks about Lovers Lane. Rightly so: it’s the toughest of the unpaved sectors on the Cheesehead Roubaix route. But this year there’s a clear Second Best (Worst?). Unless Ozaukee County grades it in the meantime, you won’t believe how bad Sauk Trail Road is. Lovers Lane is still the only 5-star sector but Sauk Trail is now every last bit of 4. A couple of the other sectors have gotten tougher too. Enjoy!

Tomorrow I’m getting my BMC road bike back from Pedal Moraine, where the front shifter needed to be replaced. I love SRAM Red until it breaks, and then I hate paying for the replacement parts. Oh, well. That shifter served me for 12,680 miles, so I shouldn’t complain! Tomorrow’s ride will be my first on the BMC in almost a month. It will be an important shakedown ride for Cheesehead Roubaix and a chance to climb some hills, which I admit I haven’t really been doing so far this year.

In the week to come, keep an eye on the weather. I suppose I could say that every week, but rain would really cut down the attendance at Cheesehead Roubaix. The ride will go on, rain or shine, but I need good weather to get a good turnout to generate a big payday for the Newburg Fire Department. Fireman’s Park really got clobbered by flooding earlier this year, and the donations generated by Cheesehead Roubaix will be a big help in the restoration effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment