Monday, June 13, 2011

Struggling To Stay Motivated

Last week was not good to me.  It started on Monday with a rest day that immediately felt like an opportunity wasted: it was 93 degrees and I do love the heat.  On Tuesday we hit 95 and I reveled in it, riding 45 miles after work.  I planned to do a short, hard ride early on Wednesday but it didn’t happen, then my softball team played poorly and dropped to 4-2.  I didn’t have an opportunity to ride on Thursday and I didn’t want to on Friday when the high temperature was a mere 54.  That’s fine for March but I found it so depressing that I didn’t even consider riding.  Saturday was another bummer: overcast and 59.  I had to force myself to ride and I didn’t enjoy it at all.

On Sunday I made a little comeback, riding 50 miles in under 3 hours.  I averaged 17.4 mph on a rolling route that took me to Germantown, Mequon, Cedarburg and Newburg.  I found that I can’t get into my 12-tooth cog when I’m in my big ring, so I’ll need to address that in the week to come.

I’m still undecided about Ride the Rock next Sunday.  I don’t have the fitness to do well, but it still makes sense to go ... do what the guys in the Critérium du Dauphiné did over the last week and treat the race as training.  We’ll see.  If rain moves in next weekend, I’m out.

No comments:

Post a Comment