Saturday, October 9, 2021

Back In Wisconsin … Broken


It was a great vacation in Pennsylvania until Thursday afternoon when I crashed on the road and badly injured my left shoulder … again. Pretty sure I know what to expect: two weeks without the use of my left arm, then a fairly rapid period of improvement, and finally a long winter of rebuilding strength in the home gym. I’m a mess: road rash all over the left side of my body. But aside from the shredded handlebar tape that needed to be replaced anyway, I think the bike is OK. At the moment I don't really care. I think my outdoor riding season is done for 2021.

I’m still replaying the crash in my head, and I’m still failing to understand it. I hit a bump in the road with such violence that the handlebar was wrenched from my hands. Fortunately there were no other people or vehicles nearby.

Working from home is going to prove its worth again tonight. As my new work week begins I will be relatively comfortable in my home office where no one will ask why I’m limping and holding my left arm tightly against my chest. And having my oldest kid living with me again is going to ensure a steady flow of groceries to the house. It will be a while before I make my next appearance in public, and unfortunately that means I won’t be at Trek HQ in Waterloo tomorrow for the UCI World Cup cyclocross races.

Zwift is looking better all the time. I can’t keep breaking myself like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment