Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Getting With The Program

Monastic Black is the color of choice for the solitary indoor cyclist.
This was Day 1 of a well-structured, 12-week program that should result in excellent fitness by the beginning of May.  That's when my first competition goals will appear on the calendar, and everything before May 1 is prelude.  I have done numerous trainer workouts of the “easy spin” variety since December, but until today I had done zero intervals.  Mondays and Thursdays will be rest days, all others will be training days of varying intensity.  There are no absolute rest days, as Mondays and Thursdays are my heavy upper body weightlifting days.  But the weightlifting routine doesn’t tax the legs and only minimally qualifies as "cardio," so I think I’m good.

My last real month of outdoor riding was October.  I rode sparingly in November, just once in December and not at all so far this year.  I might get a chance on Sunday if the weather forecast proves true: I’ll be tempted by sunny and 40 degrees.  But the roads might be a mess due to melting snow.  Wait and see … I’ll consider it a bonus if I can ride outside on February 13.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try to get outside too. 2-4hrs long, depending on how my wrist feels and if the weather is going to be that nice.

    ReplyDelete