Friday, August 28, 2015

Working The Day Shift At New Fane


With rain on the way, I slipped two fast laps at New Fane into my Friday afternoon. Lap 1 was a very respectable 25:19. Lap 2 was a personal-best 24:41, a 3-second beating of the time I posted back on June 24. (If you follow me on Garmin Connect, Lap 2 looks like 24:45. I fumbled with the device as I completed the lap, failing to hit the correct button. Fortunately, I was able to use the website’s playback feature to pinpoint the moment I reached the finish line.)

In the WORS race on Sunday I had a body that cooperated and a bike that did not. Yesterday the bike got fixed: the new SRAM X9 shifter is a nice upgrade for the worn-out X7 that caused me so much trouble in the Reforestation Ramble. Today both body and bike did what I wanted them to do.

Last year I did 17 practice sessions at New Fane before competing in the Northern Kettles Fall Epic. This year the race is on September 19. Today’s visit to New Fane was my 17th of 2015, and with three weeks to go I should be able to do a few more pre-race practices. New Fane isn’t super technical, but like any mountain bike course it rewards those who ride it often. There are a couple of “home field advantage” spots where I can gain valuable time, and I’m not yet as quick as I could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment