Friday, March 8, 2019

Thawing

I don't stray far from home on days like this.


I got to ride outside today for the first time since February 22, exactly two weeks ago. This was the first day above freezing since February 24. Today’s ride was my 5th so far this year and I finally have surpassed 100 miles. Last year I had 150 in January and 125 in February, which speaks volumes about the severity of this winter. And today was great … in its way, but now it’s time to settle in for what will be a very wet, very windy weekend. Next week’s forecast holds some promise: we should get into the 40s by Wednesday and we might even see our first 50° day of 2019. I choose to be optimistic. Tomorrow I’ll be watching Strade Bianche, arguably the most beautiful one-day race in the world. Daylight Saving Time returns early Sunday and that’s much to my satisfaction, as it provides more time to ride later in the day. And Paris-Nice begins on Sunday. We’re getting into that time of year when there’s a bike race almost every day, which is only as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment