Sunday, May 24, 2020

Passing A Couple Of Tests



No complaints about the weather today: nearly 80° and sunny this afternoon with manageable winds. It was the nicest day so far this year, and I responded with my longest ride. My solo metric century was almost double the length of my previous best effort. I wasn’t fast but that’s OK; today was about the time and the mileage and, to a lesser degree, the climbing. Right now it seems like every bored professional racer is “Everesting” or chasing Strava KOMs, so my 1,946 feet of climbing won’t seem like much by comparison. But around here, that’s not bad. In fact, it’s the most climbing I’ve done since last August. So, test passed! I accomplished my goals today and had plenty left in the tank when I got home.

I’ve done metric centuries without food before, but today I wanted to take something with me for a mid-ride snack. I grabbed a couple of my homemade CLIF Bar substitutes, wrapped them in waxed paper, and shoved them in my jersey pocket. They worked perfectly! Comprised only of oats, bananas, raisins, and flaxseed meal, there was nothing to melt and nothing to make my fingers sticky. Another test passed!

This turned out to be an 11-hour, 175-mile week, and again you have to go back to last August to find a bigger effort. Hopefully we will have enough stability in our weather to allow me to string together a bunch of weeks like this one. Statistically I am pretty close to last year’s pace, but I still feel like I’m behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment