Thursday, May 12, 2022

West Bend’s Warmest May 12

It was a record-breaking day in West Bend: 90° for the first time ever on May 12, topping the 88° we reached on May 12, 1900. The average high on this date is only 65° and we’ll see temperatures like that again early next week. For now, I’m enjoying the warmth. After coming close on Tuesday, today was our first 90° day since last August 28. In some calendar years we don’t reach 90° even once. I know I’m in the minority, but I hope this is the first of many in 2022.

Warmer weather is having a good effect on my cycling season. April was dismal: I rode outside on only 6 occasions for a total of 142 miles. Today’s ride was my 6th so far in May. I have covered 203 miles this month, bringing my year-to-date mileage to 449. By the end of May 2021, I was approaching 1,100 miles, year-to-date. I’ll need a small miracle to challenge that number this year. It’s probably not something that should worry me. But as I have said here many times, I ride better as I ride more, and each season I don’t really hit my stride until I have about 1,000 miles in my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment