Wednesday, December 20, 2023

It’s Over, Over There

I hope they enjoyed this while it lasted.
The COVID-19 pandemic led to a cycling boom as people looked for socially-distanced alternatives to things like public transportation and health club memberships. Retailers quickly ran out of bikes, parts, and accessories. Then, demonstrating the mismanagement we expect from the bicycle industry, retailers assumed historically high demand was the “new normal” and manufacturers increased production to meet an influx of orders. The supply chain broke down while demand was still high, leading many shoppers to buy overpriced used bikes instead of the new bikes they couldn’t get. But as the pandemic lost momentum, so did the cycling boom. And as the supply chain got fixed, shops were flooded with bikes, parts, and accessories that they couldn’t move without deep discounts.

In October, British cycling retailer Wiggle Chain Reaction lost the financial backing of its biggest investor, Signa Sports United, and almost immediately thereafter entered administration, the UK equivalent of our bankruptcy reorganization. Unfortunately, but predictably, this led to a big layoff of Wiggle Chain Reaction employees. The only good news was for consumers: more of the aforementioned deep discounts. But even that good news was muted. Wiggle Chain Reaction now has eliminated international sales, so its deals are available only in the UK.

I was able to place one final order, and I received it today: a nice torque wrench set, a merino wool long-sleeve baselayer, and a pair of arm warmers. The total cost of $91, including tax, is what you might expect to pay for a torque wrench set or a merino wool baselayer by itself.

Every bolt on every bike has a recommended torque limit, and with carbon fiber frames and parts it is especially important not to over-tighten. Prior to today I had one torque wrench that I could use only on one size bolt for one specific torque limit. Now I can ensure every bolt is tightened correctly. At $39, the merino wool baselayer was the most expensive part of my Chain Reaction order. It’s equal to this $100 offering from Aero Tech Designs that I bought in 2020 and absolutely live in during the winter. But like its predecessor, I expect the new baselayer to serve me off the bike, not on. It will be great for loungewear and for cool weather hiking or yard chores. The arm warmers will be pressed into service on the bike soon enough. My only other black arm warmers are from Pearl Izumi and they are pretty worn out after many years of good performance. The old ones now fit too loosely except after a fresh laundering.

I contented myself with purchases I could actually use … this time. Now I will keep an eye on domestic bike retailers to see if their prices plunge into fire sale territory. If they do, then I could talk myself into a few things that wouldn’t pass the “do I really need this?” test.

No comments:

Post a Comment