Sunday, December 24, 2023

90,000 Lifetime Miles


I reached 90,000 lifetime miles today, completing the goal I set for myself at the end of last season. I came into December needing 176 miles. That seemed like an almost impossible number to reach. My personal record for December was, coincidentally, 176 miles, set in 2018. Prior to this season, my average December output was only 57.5 miles. With 31 miles today, I established a new personal record:


Normally, I have reached my mileage goal for the season long before December. I’m already very disinclined to ride in cold weather, so I really can’t be bothered when there isn’t a statistical objective. West Bend hit 47° this afternoon, which hardly qualifies as cold on December 24, and I clearly have benefited from warmer than average temperatures this month. But I was content to stop on 31 miles today with my first new monthly mileage PR since August 2021.

With these objectives finally in hand, I am shutting down my outdoor season. There are no more personal records within reach, my job is still demanding a lot of extra time from me, and I’m mentally fatigued. Thursday should be my first night off since December 7. And what did I do with my “free” time on December 7? I drove the 900 miles back to West Bend from my mother’s house in eastern Pennsylvania ... no big deal. I will have worked 20 consecutive nights by Thursday. I need a break. Then I need to miss the bike so badly that riding inside seems like a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment