Friday, March 29, 2024

Home (Gym) Away From Home (Gym)

It’s the first week of my four-week visit to Pennsylvania, and so far the weather hasn’t been appreciably better than the weather in West Bend. I’m feeling a little cheated, as far as that goes, because a combination of cold temperatures, high winds, and rain has greatly limited my time on the bike. I’ve spent more time walking, and for at least the next week I am likely to continue to walk more hours than I ride.

But the weather has been my only source of dissatisfaction. Things are going really well otherwise. I have knocked out a couple of projects at my mother’s house, I’m getting much more sleep than normal, and today I found a corner of Mom’s garage than I can use as a home gym … of sorts. Back in West Bend, my home gym includes not only free weights, but also a collection of fitness bands that connect to wall anchors at four different points. The fitness bands are my go-to tools for back and shoulder exercises. Because they are so lightweight and easy to move from place to place, I brought them with me on this visit. I purchased four heavy duty screw eyes and sunk them into an exposed 2x4 in Mom’s garage. It’s almost a perfect replica of what I have at home, and the workout I completed this afternoon felt very familiar.

I wish I would have thought of this last year, when I was here for a total of 16 weeks and neglected my upper body the entire time! Now I can bring my fitness bands whenever I visit and keep up with a big component of my strength training program.

No comments:

Post a Comment