Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Some Notes As April 2024 Ends

I got a sunburn on Saturday at Cheesehead Roubaix … and I’m not complaining! Uncharacteristically fair weather had a big effect on the turnout. More than 100 riders started, but not all of them finished the full route. Some people found shortcuts on the return trip from Belgium or bailed out even sooner due to high winds. I don’t blame them. It was brutal! The average wind speed was above 20 mph for the entire ride, bringing unseasonable warmth from the southwest. By 4:15 p.m., West Bend hit 80° for the first time since October 24. The ride was over by then, of course. But I was never cold for a moment on this year’s Cheesehead Roubaix and I don’t know if I ever could say that before. And this year’s improved attendance resulted in a nice payday for the Newburg Fire Department: $1,809 in cash donations and post-ride concessions. Thanks to everyone for their generosity!

Cheesehead Roubaix was my first ride on my BMC road bike since October 1. Yikes! My Framed gravel bike got most of the work in the meantime. And no, it’s not ironic that I went back to the true road bike on Saturday. Cheesehead Roubaix is principally a road ride—one with a couple of hills on which the BMC was obviously the better choice—and the gravel sections aren’t so nasty that anything more than a road bike is required.

There was good news for local mountain bikers last Thursday. West Bend’s Park & Recreation Commission enthusiastically approved a plan for new trails at Regner Park. Sounds like these trails could be ready this summer! The planned course is mostly rake-and-ride, with no heavy earth moving.

There’s mixed news about my fitness as we enter May. I’m happy to say that I already have exceeded my walking mileage goal for 2024. My goal was a very modest 260 miles, the same target I missed in 2023, when I walked only 238 miles. And just to be clear, these are miles I walk for the express purpose of improving my fitness; I do not track incidental steps as I cut the grass, shop for groceries, or go about other mundanities. My personal record of 463 miles, set in 2021, is within reach. I’m at 270 miles today, more than halfway to a new PR with 8 months to go. The bad news is that I barely sleep anymore and I am 6 pounds heavier than I was at this point last year … and I was no lightweight then! I have been very inconsistent with my time on the bike this year. Ride frequency and total mileage are down slightly from last year’s pace. That needs to change immediately and I think it will, as better and more predictable weather arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment