Tuesday, May 3, 2011

This Little Piggy Went To Market




I try not to obsess over equipment weight.  I don’t replace perfectly good parts just to cut a couple of grams.  What do such savings mean when my own body is overweight?  I would be better served trimming pounds of belly fat.

My feet aren’t fat, but they are big.  So, at size 46 European (roughly a 12.5 US) my cycling shoes are probably heavier than yours.  I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes when I got my Giant OCR1 back in 2005.  They have been my only cycling shoes and they’re looking mighty rough.  Today I got a new pair of Diadora shoes in a color scheme that will look great with my Team Pedal Moraine kit.  They’re comfortable and they’re 124 grams lighter than the Pearl Izumis—more than ¼-pound of mass that I won’t have to push around with every pedal revolution.  I didn’t buy the shoes for the weight savings, but in theory there should be a little performance boost.  If not, then at least I'll be stylin' while you're passing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment