Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Stay Or Go?

Beginning on March 28 and continuing through April 7, I will be on vacation.  I wasn’t planning to go anywhere; those 11 days were intended simply to be free of any obligation to my employer. But this weather!  If the extended forecast is correct, then we will be lucky just to stay above freezing between now and March 21.  And I have no reason to believe that the period of my vacation will be appreciably better.  I’m really tempted to travel.

I don’t have much of a budget for a spring vacation, but I can always afford a trip to suburban Philadelphia to see Mom.  Staying at her house gives me all the benefits of a vacation for just the cost of gasoline and a couple of freeway tolls.  And southeastern Pennsylvania almost always has warmer weather than southeastern Wisconsin.  A typical April 1 in Mom’s neighborhood is 58 degrees, while here in West Bend it’s 49.  I would just about kill for 49 right now, so imagine the draw of 58!

I am already considering my cycling opportunities.  What I really need is a 12- to 15-hour training week, and that need is at least as much psychological as physical.  I am having a hard time committing to indoor sessions this winter and a solid block of outdoor rides would reaffirm my willingness to work.  If I go I will take my cyclocross bike only.  Last year I took my road bike, only to realize that I had the wrong gears for the Fools Classic, and my 29er, only to realize that the local mountain bike trails sucked.  Armed with two sets of wheels and tires, the ’cross bike will be all I need to enjoy the roads and the rec trails … if I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment