Monday, February 4, 2019

That Will Take A Bite



Today I had a dental appointment. Routine, right, just a cleaning and checkup? That’s how it started, but it finished with the decision to extract a tooth that has been giving me trouble for more than 20 years. Next Monday I will be back in the dentist’s chair to begin the process: off with the existing bridge work, out with the bad tooth, et cetera. At a subsequent visit the new bridge work will go on and I’ll be more than $3,000 poorer. It’s a big financial hit for sure. In response, I will postpone a couple of equipment purchases that I hoped to make for the 2019 cycling season: no new wheels, no new helmet. They were “wants” and not “needs” anyway.

I got on the bike yesterday afternoon after a 3-week absence. My ride was a slow 25 miles around West Bend, but it kept a streak alive: I have ridden outside at least once in every month since February 2014. With temperatures in the 40s there was no doubt I would hit the road despite a misty gloom.

Saturday was pretty dull looking too and not as warm, but it was good enough for my first snowshoeing adventure since last February. I walked for 90 minutes through Lac Lawrann Conservancy and Royal Oaks Park. There might be more snowshoeing in the immediate future. We’re going back below freezing tonight and it looks like a few inches of fresh snow will fall throughout the week.

It will be a while before I can ride outside consistently, but this weekend was a nice break from the deep freeze … and from the turbo trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment