Friday, June 1, 2012

The Plan For June

Yes, June.  I know today’s weather was more like what you would expect in April, but June has arrived and now the cycling calendar is about to get really full.  I plan to do all three WORS races this month: the Big Ring Classic at Wausau on Sunday, then the Battle of CamRock at Rockdale on the 17th, and finally the Red Flint Firecracker at Eau Claire on the 24th.  On Saturday the 30th I’ll finally have a chance to ride with the Washington County Bicycle Club for the first time this year.

For training I’ll stick to what has been working: every-other-Tuesday crit practices, Thursday group rides, Friday singletrack skills development at New Fane, plus occasional long-distance excursions on the road or on the Eisenbahn.  In the home gym I will mix things up a little … not yet sure what form the new routine will take, but six weeks have passed since I last made a change and I want to avoid a plateau.  That’s all upper-body stuff that I do mostly for softball, but it has benefits on the bike too, especially for mountain biking.

As a cycling fan, I’m excited about all the TV coverage that NBC Sports has promised for June.  NBC Sports will have same-day coverage for each stage of the Critérium du Dauphiné and the Tour de Suisse, plus next-day coverage for the Philadelphia International Cycling Championship … 15 consecutive days of cycling on TV from June 3 through June 17!  Then the 11-day Tour of America’s Dairyland kicks in on June 21 and I hope to be in the crowd for the Shorewood, Schlitz Park, and Downer Avenue races.  And as June comes to a close, the Tour de France will begin.

It’s going to be a great month, even if it did start on something of a sour note.

No comments:

Post a Comment