Monday, October 24, 2022

Past Peak




Well, that was fun while it lasted. We don’t often get four consecutive 70° days in October, but that was our good fortune this year. And last Thursday wasn’t too bad either. So, over the five-day period that ended today, I rode a total of 179 miles. But tomorrow will be a chilly rainout and the rest of the week will be in the 50s. Whether we will see 70° again before next May is anybody’s guess. Getting back to 60° will be hard enough.

I now need only 50 more miles to reach 4,000 this season. I expect to get them this week, then I will shift the focus to indoor training with Zwift. It’s not just that the temperatures are dropping; it’s also that the days are getting too short. My job demands a lot of attention and can be fatiguing, and on most days I prefer to go to bed immediately after my overnight shift. Sleeping deep into the afternoon greatly limits the amount of time I can spend on the bike. I will get better, more consistent workouts inside. I really miss the late sunsets of mid-summer!

And I have projects to complete around my home before winter gets here … yard cleanup, mostly, but I’m also planning to install a new TV antenna and to do some exterior house painting. The nesting instinct is strong at the moment. My pantry is now stocked with cans of chili and chicken noodle soup, and today I subscribed to ESPN+ to get access to most of the National Hockey League schedule. On my shopping list: new pillows and bath towels. I don’t allow myself many comforts or luxuries, but very much on my mind these days is how I will spend those long, dark hours after we fall back to standard time on November 6. This winter I want to work out harder than ever before, but I also want to relax harder than ever before … if you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment