Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Freein’ Myself Of Ian

If you could travel in a straight line from my mother’s house in suburban Philadelphia to the Atlantic Ocean, then the distance would be only 63 miles. And you can’t cover that distance in a straight line, but a hurricane can. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and much of today got wiped out by almost endless rain and occasionally high winds as Hurricane Ian continued its march up the East Coast. This is emphatically not what I had in mind when I planned my vacation. Average afternoon highs should still be in the low 70s here, but we’ve been spending most of our time in the 40s and 50s. Locals are complaining that it feels like winter and they’re not wrong. It’s nothing like a Wisconsin winter, but still.

After three days of forced rest, today I took advantage of a break in the rain to knock out a 50-mile road ride. I don’t have the same familiarity with these roads as I do with Washington County’s, so I stayed close to Mom’s house and did loops through and around Doylestown (imagine Cedarburg with a county courthouse and bumper-to-bumper automobile traffic). It’s nice here, but it’s hard to get around. Tomorrow and Friday I will point the bike toward some roads in a less congested pocket of Bucks County, and by mid-afternoon on Friday I will begin the long drive back to Wisconsin. I’ll be home on Saturday, but don’t invite me to ride. I’ll be looking for an evening nap to put myself back on a nighttime schedule. Technically my vacation ends tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. CDT, but I won’t really feel it until 11 p.m. on Saturday when I begin my new work week.

No comments:

Post a Comment