Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Funny How Things Work Out

I lived for 3½ years in suburban Philadelphia and never once took an interest in this. Now I look forward to the Versus broadcast of this year’s race, Sunday at 12:30 p.m.

I lived for 2 years on the corner of Bradford & Prospect in Milwaukee and regarded this as nothing more than an additional challenge in the never-ending quest to find parking near my apartment. (I would have had the same lack of interest in the Tour of America’s Dairyland, had it existed at that time.) Now trips to the Downer Avenue races are a summer tradition.

When I was a child in West Newton PA, there was an active railroad line on the west side of the Youghiogheny River. Today it’s part of the 320-mile Great Allegheny Passage, a network of rail-trails that I intend to ride all the way to Washington DC someday.

These are all great things but I wouldn’t have had any appreciation for them if I hadn’t become a cyclist. And I don’t know whether I would have become a cyclist at any other time or in any other place. I’ve moved around a lot and Washington County probably isn’t my last port-of-call, but I’ll always be grateful to it for sparking my love of this sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment